A recently-completed Progress Report shows the NSW Local Landcare Coordinator Initiative (LLCI) is achieving results and helping to build momentum across the State.
The report highlights the positive difference Landcare is making with the support of the NSW Government and Local Land Services.
Landcare NSW Chair, Rob Dulhunty says the report clearly shows the value of a supported Landcare community.
“This report shows what can be achieved when Landcare is supported and how government investment in Landcare creates value. As a result of the LLCI we have seen Landcare groups revitalised, partnerships created and funds leveraged. Morale has improved, groups have gained new skills and accessed new resources. Most importantly we are seeing real change on the ground.
“Landcarers willingly give their labour, time and expertise to manage our natural resources. Supportive government policy and funding will ensure Landcare continues to help meet the challenges we must face to better manage and protect our natural resources,” said Mr Dulhunty.
Key findings and achievements highlighted in the report include:
- 63% of groups reported an increase in participants
- 87% of groups reported they had the skills and expertise to achieve their goals
- 73% of groups reported an increased in grant applications submitted due to the involvement of the Local Coordinators
- 424 case studies have been produced to showcase what Landcare groups are achieving on the ground
- Increase in capacity to share and learn from each other
- Opportunity for local Landcarers to participate in state wide events
- Increases in regional communication
- Increases in capacity in central support infrastructure
- Increases in capacity for good governance locally and regionally
- NSW Local Land Services and Landcare working together at state and local levels
The LLCI is a $15 million, four year project to renew the Government/Landcare community relationship by investing in and unlocking the potential of the thousands of volunteers of the Landcare movement in NSW.
The Local Landcare Coordinator Initiative is funded by the NSW Government and is supported through the partnership of Local Land Services and Landcare NSW.