Who we are
Our website address is: https://landcarensw.org.au.
We respect your rights to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act) and we comply with all of the Act’s requirements in respect of the collection, use, disclosure and management of your personal information.
This Policy is designed to inform you about how we collect, use, disclose and manage your personal information.
This Policy is also intended to ensure that Landcare NSW staff, members and volunteers comply with and observe the statutory requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act).
DEFINITION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
When used in this Policy, the term “personal information” has the meaning given to it in the Act. In general terms, it is any information that can be used to personally identify you. This may include your name, address, telephone number, email address and profession or occupation. If the information we collect personally identifies you, or you are reasonably identifiable from it, the information will be considered personal information.
TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT IS COLLECTED AND STORED
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- mailing or street address;
- email address;
- telephone number;
- mobile phone number;
- facsimile number;
- age or birth date;
- profession, occupation or job title;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites, emails, phone calls or fax, or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise;
- information necessary to process your membership application;
- information necessary to verify your insurance application;
- information about when you have supported us, including when you volunteer with us or make a donation; and
- information you provide to us through customer surveys or visits by our representatives from time to time.
We may also collect some information that is not personal information because it does not identify you or anyone else. For example, we may collect anonymous answers to surveys or aggregated information about how users use our website.
HOW IS PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED?
We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may collect in ways including:
- through your access and use of our website;
- during conversations between you and Landcare NSW representatives;
- when you complete a membership application
- when purchasing insurance through our website; or
- any other interaction between you and us.
We may also collect personal information from third parties including both state and federal government entities.
We may log IP addresses (that is, the electronic addresses of computers connected to the internet) to analyse trends, administer the website, track users’ movements, and gather broad demographic information.
WHAT HAPPENS IF LANDCARE NSW CAN’T COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
- we may not be able to provide the requested services or products to you, either to the same standard or at all;
- we may not be able to permit you to volunteer with us or become a member of Landcare NSW;
- we may not be able to provide you with information about services and products that you may want, including information about news and events or special promotions;
- we may be unable to tailor the content of our websites to your preferences; and
- your experience of our websites may not be as enjoyable or useful.
FOR WHAT PURPOSES DOES LANDCARE NSW COLLECT, HOLD, USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect personal information about you so that we can perform our business activities and functions and to provide the best possible quality of customer service.
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide services and products to you, and to send communications requested by you;
- to answer enquiries and provide information or advice;
- to enable your participation in our volunteering activities;
- to process and record your donations;
- to process and record your membership application and details;
- to verify your insurance application with the insurance broker;
- to provide you with access to protected areas of our website;
- to assess the performance of the website and to improve the operation of the website;
- to conduct business processing functions including providing personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors, service providers or other third parties;
- for the administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, services or product development, quality control and research purposes of Landcare NSW its related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers;
- to provide your updated personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers;
- to update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
- to process and respond to any complaint made by you; and
- to comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority of any country (or political sub-division of a country).
Your personal information will not be shared, sold or rented other than as described in this Policy.
WHO IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION DISCLOSED TO?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our employees, related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide services and products to you including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing, and related purposes; and
- any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
We may combine or share any information that we collect from you with information collected by any of our related bodies corporate (within Australia).
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our services and products that we consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so. In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us (see the details below), or by using opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications, and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
We do not provide your personal information to other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing.
HOW CAN YOU ACCESS AND CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us (see the details below). Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing your personal information (for example, by mailing or emailing it to you). We will not charge you any fees for making the request or for providing you with your personal information, and we will not charge for making any corrections to your personal information.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment, then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
If you wish to appeal to decision not to grant access to your personal information, you will need to request in writing for our Executive Committee to review your case. The Executive Committee may overturn the decision to not grant access to your personal information. You will be notified in writing of the outcome of the review by Landcare NSW within a reasonable period from the submission of your request for a review by our Executive Committee.
PROCESS FOR LODGING A COMPLAINT REGARDING A BREACH OF PRIVACY
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information below and provide details of the incident so that we can investigate it.
Our procedure for investigating and dealing with privacy breaches is that all complaints against Landcare NSW staff, employees, committees or volunteers in respect to privacy will be reviewed and investigated within a reasonable period.
We may request that your complaint be made in writing, so we can be sure about the details of the complaint. We will attempt to confirm as appropriate and necessary with you your understanding of the conduct relevant to the complaint and what you expect as an outcome. We will treat your complaint confidentially.
All responses to privacy complaints shall be reviewed by our Executive Committee. You will be formally notified of the outcome of our Executive Committee’s review of your privacy complaint within a reasonable period.
If you are not satisfied with outcome of our investigation, you can lodge a formal complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. Further information can be found on its website https://www.oaic.gov.au/
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION TO PARTIES OUTSIDE OF AUSTRALIA
We may disclose personal information to our related bodies corporate and third-party suppliers and service providers located overseas for some of the purposes listed above.
The overseas recipients to whom we may disclose your personal information include our data hosting and other IT service providers, located in Australia, Japan, the Philippines and the United State of America.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We may hold your information in either electronic or hard copy form. Personal information is destroyed or de-identified when no longer needed.
As our website is linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third-party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third-party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
If you have any questions about this Policy, any concerns or a complaint regarding the treatment of your privacy or a possible breach of your privacy, please use the contact link on our website or contact our Privacy Officer using the details set out below.
Please contact our Privacy Officer at:
Landcare NSW Incorporated
Post: Unit 7, 56 Church Avenue, Mascot 2020
We may change this Policy from time to time. Any updated versions of this Policy will be posted on our website.
This Policy was last updated in December 2019.
This version was approved on:
This version takes effect on:
Next review date: