An opportunity exists to join a team of dedicated staff as our Government Relations Manager, working closely with the entire Landcare NSW team, Executive and Council. Read on for more information about the role and how to apply.
Government Relations Manager
About Landcare NSW
We are the representative body of the Landcare movement in NSW and the voice of community Landcare. Our member Council represents around 60,000 Landcarers and 3,000 groups and meets quarterly. The organisation is overseen by an eight-member executive and a small team of dedicated staff.
Our structure enables the building of skills, capacity, strength and connections at every level – from individual Landcare groups to district networks, to regional associations to the state peak body, through to the National Landcare Network in Canberra.
About the role
Reporting to the CEO, the purpose of this role is to create an environment in which Landcare NSW and its members can access the support and resources needed to expand and improve Landcare’s contribution to the Australian community.
The successful applicant will assist the CEO in raising the profile of Landcare NSW, managing the reputation of Landcare NSW, and in ensuring a steady flow of information to and from the Landcare community. The position maintains relationships with Landcarers, government stakeholders and other partners while exploring and defining new avenues of funding and investment opportunities within the NSW Government.
Salary Sacrifice conditions may be negotiated between the successful applicant and Landcare NSW.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Sound judgement and well-developed skills in providing advice on public affairs matters to organisational leaders
- Detailed knowledge of government and parliament
- Policy development skills including research, consultation, negotiation, consensus building and policy writing
- Representation skills, i.e. development of strategy, narrative and activities to convey a position to secure funding and partnerships
- Sourcing funding and investment opportunities from government partners
- Presentation – be a credible and professional representative of the organisation
- Building and maintaining relationships with key partners and stakeholders
- Communicating news and information using a wide variety of channels
- Providing training, mentoring, education and support for members
- Managing people, developing plans and managing budgets
- A knowledge of policy issues related to natural resource management, environment, communities or agriculture would be beneficial
- Extensive experience working with the NSW Government either in a departmental role, a Ministerial Office or in a policy/advisory role with a Member of Parliament
- If previously employed as a Departmental Officer, must have experience working with Ministers, Ministers’ Officers and Members of Parliament
- Experience in a Non-Government Organisation (NGO), association or peak body
- Experience in a policy and representation role
- Experience managing public affairs
- Communications experience including media liaison, publications and digital media
- Experience developing plans, strategies, supervising staff and working in teams
- Degree qualification preferred
- Other relevant criteria
- Interested in Landcare, agriculture, conservation and volunteerism; personally committed to the goals of Landcare NSW
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills
- Exceptional time management, self-organisation and prioritisation skills